My Top 5 Interesting Things About Africa.
- The Woodabe Fulani male beauty pageant.
- The Great Wildebeest Migration in East Africa.
- The sea can actually freeze in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Zimbabwe is believed to be Ophir, the ancient kingdom from where King Solomon got gold, ivory and other magnificent treasures.
- Time means different things in some African countries with 7am (GMT) in Swahili being the first hour of the day so it is actually 1 o'clock
Amazing things about Africa
- The official title of Idi Amin, the Ugandan dictator, was “His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular”.
- Queen Nzinga of Angola was an incredibly brave and intelligent ruler who fought the Portuguese slave traders over 350 years ago and outwitted them at every turn.
- Africa and Europe are separated by only 9 miles at the Strait of Gibraltar between Spain and Morocco.
- The Djenne mosque in Mali is the largest mud brick building in the world and an annual festival is held to rebuild it and ensure it remains standing strong and proud.
The Shona people of Zimbabwe have been hand sculpting stone into works of art for nearly a thousand years. The themes of these beautiful sculptures represent esteemed values in the Shona culture of family, love, life and nature. The stone is serpentine and can be found withcolours ranging from black and green to yellows, orange, grey, red, and even purple.
African musical instruments include a wide range of drums, rattles, double bells and gongs, in addition to melodic instruments including string instruments,different types of harps, and harp-like instruments such as the kora as well as fiddles. The guitar based bands of the Congo created the incredibly popular soukous style of music.
Music, dance and song are always intertwined and it is often difficult to separate one from the other.